[ Video Sharing CMS v4 ] Reducing Bandwidth when uploading

Started by neospider69,

Previous topic - Next topic

neospider69Topic starter

Hi Guys, this is my idea of reducing bandwidth and server load leaving your server free for your guests.

If you upload large videos like i do, you know that you can easily upload 10-20 gb in a day in just a few files, soo, how to reduce this? Simple.

I got a new server for home, in which i'll install Centos. Then i'll use Rsync to sync all my website content from the webserver to my home server.

i'll assign a dedicated internal IP to my home server in my router, and forward port 80 to it.

i'll add an A dns entry to my domain to assign to my home server. ( example http://home.mydomain.com )

get my second license for that domain and change license and domain in vibe config at my home server.

Get a cron job with an Rsync command to be run every night at 3am, this command is to sync my DB and the contents of the media folder from my home server to my web server.

Done

Now i can upload my files and convert them at home, with upload speed way faster since is internal network, and converting the file without putting the webserver in stress, and all the converted files and DB sync at 3am, but since it only uploads the converted files, i will save several GB in bandwidth and time at uploads.

what do you think?
  •  

yafe3

great  idea thanks for sharing
what kind of home servers you have  ?
  •  

neospider69Topic starter

•  

Marius P.

Happy with my help? Buy me a coffee.
Please, always use the search before opening a new topic! We're all here on our (limited) free time! Make sure you help yourself too!
  •